Getting enough good quality sleep is one of the most important habits to master if you want to feel more energetic and vibrant every day!
We have plenty of scientific research available on this topic and it shows that adults, on average, need 8 hours of undisturbed sleep in order to function optimally.
During the times of stress or illness, we actually need more sleep, so the adrenal and immune systems can recover faster.
Long term stress can reduce your sleep quality, which in turn affects the amount of energy you get to enjoy during the day.
Science aside, you know how wonderful you feel when you’re on holidays and allow yourself to sleep as much as you need to, without the use of an alarm clock.
This is how you’re meant to feel on daily basis, this is your birth right!
You can achieve this feeling every day with simple tweaks to your lifestyle.
Discover my 7 personal tips that help me to unwind, relax and handle everyday stress more effectively.
1. Turn off the lights; Use soft lighting or candles in the evenings & make sure your bedroom is very dark. If you need to use computer late in the evening you can install f.lux software that changes the colour of your computer screen from blue to an orange light (blue light suppresses the melatonin production).
2. Try herbal teas or supplements before bed; Herbs such as passionflower, lavender, valerian, lemonbalm, chamomile, hops or ziziphus offer wonderful natural way to help relax your nervous system and prepare your body for a restful night.
3. Smell your way to sleep; Essential oils not only make your house smell wonderful, they also help you feel more calm and relaxed. Some of my favourites include roman chamomile, lavender, neroli, sweet orange and sandalwood.
4. Discover the benefits of meditation; If you’ve never tried to meditate before, start with just few minutes a day. My beautiful friend Fiorella Kis-Major (yoga and meditation teacher) helps to debunk the meditation myths in her video interview with Tom Cronin.
5. Change your perception; The situation that stresses you out is not the actual cause of your stress, it is your own perception of the situation itself. The research in neuroscience and psychology shows that we can control the way we feel and think. I find this very exciting and empowering! The brain has an amazing ability to form new neural pathways (neuroplasticity) possibly to the old age, which means that you can literally rewire your brain. Good way to start using your brain differently is during your meditation practice or using positive affirmations.
6. Herbal medicine for adrenal & nervous system support; Traditional herbs are a powerful natural tool that can help to address the symptoms of stress or mild anxiety. Some of the best herbs (depending on presenting symptoms) include Withania also known as Ashwaghanda , Holy Basil, Rhodiola, Licorice, Codonopsis, Siberian and Korean ginsengs.
7. Have fun; Do what you love as often as you can!
Note: If you take prescription medications consult a qualified herbalist or a naturopath before taking any herbal medicine.